Długo oczekiwana akcja: czyli audiobooki w Humble Bundle! Nie pojawia się to często, dlatego warto się przyjrzeć, co też za dolara można dziś nabyć: Huckers, Gamers and Geeks. Gdy się przyjrzymy książkom, szybko się przekonany, że są to książki dla fascynatów około-komputerowych, dla tych, którzy spędzili wiele dni nad grami (zwłaszcza tymi starymi) a jednocześnie pasjonuje ich historia (jakże młoda!) tego, jak to to wszystko się zaczęło i dlaczego poszło właśnie w tym kierunku. Moje pokolenie będzie zachwycone tymi pozycjami. Znajdziemy tu tematykę historii gier, tajemnice narodzin Gwiezdnych Wojen, Doom’a, Diablo, wiele historii z okolic hackingu itd. Po prostu uczta! Ja w przypadku tego pakietu nie mogłem się powstrzymać przed kupieniem całego pakietu 🙂 Wy na decyzję macie jeszcze 7 długich dni!
Pierwszy pakiet zawiera 6 pozycji, z czego jedna z nich nie jest dostępna w naszym regionie:
- Ultimate History of Video Games: From Pong to Pokemon– Steven Kent
- The Ultimate History of Video Games reveals everything you ever wanted to know and more about the unforgettable games that changed the world, the visionaries who made them, and the fanatics who played them. Through meticulous research and personal interviews with hundreds of industry luminaries, you’ll discover: The video game that saved Nintendo from bankruptcy. The serendipitous story of Pac-Man’s design. The misstep that helped topple Atari’s $2 billion-a-year empire. The coin shortage caused by „Space Invaders.” The fascinating reasons behind the rise, fall, and rebirth of Sega. And much more!
- The World’s Most Dangerous Geek: And More True Hacking Stories – David Kushner
- Every day, it seems, we hear stories about hackers. Hackers breaking into the computers of banks, governments, and corporations. Others are activists, using their tools to challenge institutions and fight for freedom. But often these characters linger in the shadows. Who are they? What makes them tick? Are they allies, or enemies? For the past 20 years, Kushner has been exploring these questions, interviewing key players, and providing much-needed answers. This is a riveting collection of his exclusive reports from the online underworld. We meet a fugitive hacktivist from the notorious collective, Anonymous; a lonely Floridian who hacked the emails of the biggest celebrities in Hollywood; and two artificial intelligence researchers who were both found dead in the same mysterious way.
- Dungeon Hacks: How NetHack, Angband, and Other Roguelikes Changed the Course of Video Games – David L. Craddock
- In 1980, computers were instruments of science and mathematics, military secrets and academia. Stern administrators lorded over sterile university laboratories and stressed one point to the wide-eyed students privileged enough to set foot there: Computers were not toys. Defying authority, hackers seized control of monolithic mainframes to create a new breed of computer game: the roguelike, cryptic, and tough-as-nails adventures drawn from text-based symbols instead of state-of-the-art 3-D graphics. Despite their visual simplicity, roguelike games captivate thousands of players around the world.Dungeon Hacksintroduces you to the visionaries behind some of the most popular roguelikes of all time and shows how their creations paved the way for the blockbuster video games of today – and beyond.
- The Apollo Quartet Books 1 – 2 – Ian Sales
- Adrift on the Sea of Rains: Apollo Quartet Book 1It is April 1962. The Korean War has escalated and the US is struggling to keep the Russians and Chinese north of the 38th parallel. All the men are away fighting, but that doesn’t mean the Space Race is lost. NASA looks elsewhere for its astronauts: the 13 women pilots who passed the same tests as the original male candidates. One of these women will be the first American in space; another will be the first to spacewalk. Perhaps one will even be the first human to walk on the Moon. Beneath the surface of the Atlantic Ocean lies a film bucket from a spy satellite. The US Navy bathyscaphe Trieste II must descend 20,000 feet to retrieve the bucket, down where light has never reached. But there is more in the depths than anyone had expected, much more. This is not our world. But it very nearly was.
- The Eye With Which The Universe Beholds Itself: Apollo Quartet Book 2For 15 years, Earth has had a scientific station on an exoplanet orbiting Gliese 876. It is humanity’s only presence outside the Solar System. But a new and powerful telescope at L5 can detect no evidence of Phaeton Base, even though it should be able to. So the US has sent Brigadier Colonel Bradley Elliott, USAF, to investigate. Twenty years before, Elliott was the first, and to date only, man to land on the Martian surface. What he discovered there gave the US the stars, but it might also be responsible for the disappearance of Phaeton Base.
- Buying Time – Joe Haldeman
- More even than space travel, the Stileman Process has altered 21st-century life. The most complex of medical miracles, it ensures that every 10 years or so, the ailing, ageing body can be restored to youthful vigour and health. There’s a catch, of course: the cost. Every 10 years or so, you have to come up with £1,000,000 minimum to repeat the procedure or die. For Dallas Barr, one of the oldest men on earth, it’s that time again. While casting around desperately for his next essential £1,000,000, he meets Maria, a woman from – literally – a previous life, and makes two major discoveries. One: Not all Stileman „immortals” were born – or created – the same. Two: Someone is trying to kill them. All of them. From the award-winning author of The Forever War.
Za 8 dolarów otrzymamy kolejne audiobooki:
- Prepare to Meet Thy Doom: And More True Gaming Stories – David Kushner
- From Masters of Doom author David Kushner comes Prepare to Meet Thy Doom, a compilation of true gaming stories covering many facets of America’s biggest entertainment business: the video game industry. In addition to more than a dozen fascinating tales of game creation, play, business, and controversy, Prepare to Meet Thy Doom follows up on Kushner’s previous best seller, Masters of Doom, with a long-awaited update on id Software founders John Romero and John Carmack.
- A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts – Andrew Chaikin
- This acclaimed portrait of heroism and ingenuity captures a watershed moment in human history. The astronauts themselves have called it the definitive account of their missions. On the night of July 20, 1969, our world changed forever when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the moon. Based on in-depth interviews with 23 of the 24 moon voyagers, as well as those who struggled to get the program moving, A Man on the Moon conveys every aspect of the Apollo missions with breathtaking immediacy and stunning detail.
- Stay Awhile and Listen: How Two Blizzards Unleashed Diablo and Forged a Video-Game Empire – David L. Craddock
- Two companies. Two opposing cultures. One multi-billion-dollar video game empire. Stay Awhile and Listen: How Two Blizzards Unleashed Diablo and Forged a Video Game Empire invites listeners to discover the origin of Blizzard North, a studio built by gamers, for gamers, and Blizzard Entertainment, a convergence of designers driven to rule their industry. Composed from exhaustive research and hundreds of personal interviews, the Stay Awhile and Listen series divulges the fated meeting that brought the two Blizzards together, the clashes that tore them apart, and their transformation from grassroots democracy to corporate empire. At the center of it all – Diablo, a hack-and-slash adventure through the darkest recesses of Hell that changed online gaming forever.
- The Bird and the Sword – Amy Harmon
- Swallow, daughter, pull them in, those words that sit upon your lips. You won’t speak and you won’t tell, you won’t call on heaven or hell. You will learn and you will thrive. Silence, daughter. Stay alive.The day my mother was killed, she told my father I wouldn’t speak again, and that if I died, he would die too. She predicted the king would sell his soul and lose his son to the sky. My father has a claim to the throne, and he is waiting in the shadows for my mother’s words to come to pass. I just want to be free. But freedom will require escape, and I’m a prisoner of my mother’s curse and my father’s greed. I can’t speak or make a sound, and I can’t wield a sword or beguile a king. In a land purged of enchantment, love might be the only magic left, and who could ever love…a bird?
- The Apollo Quartet Bookz 3 – 4 – Ian Sales
- Then Will The Great Ocean Wash Deep Above: Apollo Quartet Book 3When nuclear war breaks out and the nations of the Earth are destroyed, a group of US astronauts are marooned on the lunar surface. Using the „torsion field generator”, a WWII Nazi Wunderwaffe previously known as the Bell, they hope to find an alternate Earth that did not suffer nuclear armageddon. But once they do discover one, how will they return home? They have a single Lunar Module, which can carry only four astronauts into lunar orbit.
- All That Outer Space Allows: Apollo Quartet Book 4It is 1965, and Ginny Eckhardt is a science fiction writer. She’s been published in the big science fiction magazines and is friends with many of the popular science fiction authors of the day. Her husband, Walden, has just been selected by NASA as one of the New Nineteen Apollo astronauts…which means Ginny will be a member of the Astronaut Wives Club.Although the realities of spaceflight fascinate Ginny, her gender bars her from the US space program. Her science fiction offers little in the way of consolation–but perhaps there is something she can do about that.Covering the years 1965 to 1972, when Walden Eckhardt lifts off aboard Apollo 15 as the mission’s lunar module pilot, this is Ginny’s life: wife, science fiction writer, astronaut wife…because that is All That Outer Space Allows.
Natomiast za 15 USD otrzymamy dodatkowe 5 książek (4 w naszej lokalizacji):
- The Secret History of Star Wars – Michael Kaminski
- Star Wars is one of the most important cultural phenomena of the Western world. The tale of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker has become modern myth. But it didn’t start out that way. In this thorough account of one of cinema’s most lasting works, Kaminski presents the true history of how Star Wars was written, from its beginnings as a science fiction fairy tale to its development over three decades into the epic we now know, chronicling the methods, techniques, thought processes, and struggles of its creator. For this unauthorized account, he has examined over 400 sources, from interviews to original scripts, to track how the most powerful modern epic in the world was created, and transformed into the tale an entire generation has grown up with.
- Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture – David Kushner
- Masters of Doom is the amazing true story of the Lennon and McCartney of video games: John Carmack and John Romero. Together, they ruled big business. They transformed popular culture. And they provoked a national controversy. More than anything, they lived a unique and rollicking American Dream, escaping the broken homes of their youth to produce the most notoriously successful game franchises in history – Doom and Quake – until the games they made tore them apart. This is a story of friendship and betrayal, commerce and artistry – a powerful and compassionate account of what it’s like to be young, driven, and wildly creative.
- Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution – Steven Levy
- Steven Levy’s classic book traces the exploits of the computer revolution’s original hackers: those brilliant & eccentric nerds from the late 1950s through the early ’80s who took risks, bent the rules, and pushed the world in a radical new direction. Featuring noteworthy hackers such as Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, and Steve Wozniak, Hackers is a fascinating story that begins in early computer research labs and leads to the first home computers. These imaginative brainiacs had a shared sense of values, known as „the hacker ethic” that still thrives today. Hackers captures a seminal period in recent history when underground activities blazed a trail for today’s digital world, from MIT students finagling access to clunky computer-card machines to the DIY culture that spawned the Apple II.
- The Plot to Hack America: How Putin’s Cyberspies and Wikileaks Tried to Steal the 2016 Election – Malcolm Nance
- In April 2016, computer technicians at the DNC discovered that someone had accessed the organization’s computer servers and conducted a theft that is best described as Watergate 2.0. In the weeks that followed, the nation’s top computer security experts discovered that the cyber thieves had helped themselves to everything: sensitive documents, emails, donor information, even voice mails. In short order, the FBI found that more than 25 state election offices had their voter registration systems probed or attacked by the same hackers. The Plot to Hack America is the thrilling true story of how Putin’s spy agency, run by the Russian billionaire class, used the promise of power and influence to cultivate Trump as well as his closest aides, the Kremlin Crew, to become unwitting assets of the Russian government.